After watching The Wood Brothers at Headliners a couple of weeks ago, there are a couple of things about the band that are quite striking.
- Chris Wood plays the upright bass, bass and harmonica with unmatched expertise, and equal parts fervor and gentility. It is hard to fully picture, but the man did it.
- The unconventional rhythm and percussion is nice – this is definitely something that sets The Wood Brothers apart from any traditional jam band or string band.
- Brother Oliver’s voice is so youthful.
- Oliver also has beautiful hair.
- Lots of people (all types) were luh-luh-loving the jams. Everyone in attendance was moving in some fashion. What this means is TWB make dance-worthy stuff.
I had not seen The Wood Brothers before – I was absent from ROMP a few years back when they hit the stage – but their style of music set in Yellow Creek Park sounds like a sweet combination.